Re: Spousal Approval

     The U.S. Army Brass Band(Pershing's Own) always features a vocal soloist
on their concerts.  Typically, they'll take an arrangement of a vocal tune
for full brass band (ie. "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserable) and cut out
all the melody lines, leaving a well written accompiament for the soloist to
sing over.  With all of the pop and broadway tunes currently on the market,
as well as all of the opera arias arranged for a solo instrument with brass
band, you should be able to find something she could agree to.

     I don't know how responsibilities are distributed in your band(personel
manager, public relations, librarian, etc.), but I've been told that
sometimes these duties are handled by people who don't play in the band.  A
spouse might make a likely candidate. It could serve as another way of
getting her involved.

Sincerely,
Karl Schultz
U.S. Naval Academy Band