Re: Low Notes Adhering to Written Page?

On Fri 11 Jul 97 (01:26:48 +1200), aj.raven@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I see no reason why the practice of ONE player
>playing down the octave should be frowned upon. One very important point
>must be remembered: This practice should be done ONLY as the music
>warrants and not used excessively.

Hi Adrian

True, dropping the bass note an octave can, in some cases improve the harmonic
weight to a satisfying degree. Besides the fact that much Brass Band music
still in circulation was written for the ancient 3-valve instruments, I am sure
that there are a few arranger/composers out there today who do not know that
the area below written F# (treble clef) is possible. These same writers are
probably also under the misapprehension that the bass trombone is still pitched
in G. Literature on Brass Band scoring is in dire need of a major update.

However, the tubist-ad-libber should be careful which parts of the score he
decides to 're-write'. In many instances, the practice would sound horribly out
of balance. Octave doubling emphasizes the bass line in the same way that the
soprano playing an octave above the cornets adds brilliance to the melody line.
This may not be the orchestrator's intention!

Add the octave coupling only where it will sound good. Look over to the Eb bass
part to make sure that the basses are not already written in octaves. It would
not make much sense to add a third octave. If the basses are written a 5th
apart, it may well be necessary also to drop one of the Ebs on to the Bb bass
line to maintain balance in the chord. Above all, get the conductor's approval
to make such alterations. If your suggestion is a good one, he might even buy
you a beer after the rehearsal :-)

Cheers, Adrian

Please see my other posting on this same theme...
--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/adios/
mailto business:     adios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx