Re: Low Tuba Notes

Hi Adrian (A.J.Raven, NZ)

Many thanks for your follow-up to my thoughts on tubas.

I thoroughly understand that the non-compensating instrument would produce
better tone, providing the player is able to make the appropriate slide
adjustments, though I think it needs a very skilled performer to do these left
hand gymnastics. He/she would also need just the right amount of lube on the
1st & 3rd valve slides to operate them as 'trombone slides'; too much and they
may drop down under their own weight; a slight dent and "No Way, Jose".

My main instrument is bass trombone, but I enjoy playing tuba as a double. My
preferred instrument is the Sovereign EEb, mainly because it is easy to switch
from bass to treble clef. Starting life as a cornettist, it is easier for me to
think in treble, even though most of my playing is now in the bass clef.

I find it requires no super-human effort on this instrument to reach as low as
pedal G concert (7 lines below the bass clef?), but the F & E (2nd harmonics)
in the octave above need to be coaxed out gently. This is frustrating as I am
able to really let these notes rip on my bass trombone. I think the EEb
instrument could probably benefit from having a 5th valve for correcting the
tuning on these two notes, ...but then it may add to the stuffiness.

Cheers, Adrian
--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/adios/