Re: Low Tuba Notes

On Wed 16 Jul 97 (16:36:33 +1200), aj.raven@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>There was just a slight misunderstanding. When I mentioned the use of
>non-compensating tubas, it was to advocate the use of the front action
>style of tuba, which generally have the slides falling neatly to the
>left hand and pointing upwards, thereby enabling the player to lubricate
>them to act almost like trombone slides. The "left hand gymnastics" are
>normal practice for tuba players who use this style of horn and are no
>different to a trumpet/cornet player using triggers to pull a note to
>the correct pitch. The only difference is the amount of adjustment
>required. I hope this clarifies my point.

Hi Adrian,

Yes I have seen Conn and Mirafone tubas built this way. I think they have 4
valves in line for the right hand as apposed to the Besson/Boosey which has the
4th on the left.

Tell me, do the NZ bands read treble clef parts, as we do? I do all my charts
in both clefs now, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for an interesting discussion.

Cheers, Adrian
--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER