Re: Low Tuba Notes

Adrian Drover (Brass Band List wrote:

> On Wed 16 Jul 97 (16:36:33 +1200), aj.raven@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >There was just a slight misunderstanding. When I mentioned the use of
> >non-compensating tubas, it was to advocate the use of the front action
> >style of tuba, which generally have the slides falling neatly to the
> >left hand and pointing upwards, thereby enabling the player to lubricate
> >them to act almost like trombone slides. The "left hand gymnastics" are
> >normal practice for tuba players who use this style of horn and are no
> >different to a trumpet/cornet player using triggers to pull a note to
> >the correct pitch. The only difference is the amount of adjustment
> >required. I hope this clarifies my point.
>
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Yes I have seen Conn and Mirafone tubas built this way. I think they have 4
> valves in line for the right hand as apposed to the Besson/Boosey which has the
> 4th on the left.
>
> Tell me, do the NZ bands read treble clef parts, as we do? I do all my charts
> in both clefs now, just to be on the safe side.
>
> Thanks for an interesting discussion.
>
> Cheers, Adrian
> --
>   ____    _ _
>  /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
> |  ()  / _ | / _ \_( ___/ INNOVATIVE ORCHESTRAL SERVICES
> |__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/adios/
> mailto business:     adios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> mailto personal: bossanova@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (Glasgow, Scotland)
>
> --

Adrian,
It's good to see that you do tuba parts in both clefs, that is a great
way to (apart from cater for the growing number of U.S. and Canadian
bands) open up our medium to a large number of highly talented tuba and
euphonium players from orchestras and concert bands who have difficulty
in playing treble clef parts. To answer your other question; yes, the
bands in NZ and Australia normally play off treble clef parts.
On the subject of the other tubas; there is without doubt a greater
choice of tubas on the market with front-action valves than those with
the "conventional" 3 up + 1 down design ie. Besson/Boosey. In addition
to the Conn and Miraphone you mentioned, there are large numbers of
tubas made by Rudy Meinl, Meinl Weston, B&S, Willson, Kalison, Cerveny,
Hirsbrunner etc. etc. mostly brands which I had never heard of until I
left the UK, but all top quality horns. My personal instruments are both
CC tubas, one is a 4/4 Yamaha YCB661 with 5 rotary valves, and a
"big-ass" Bohm-Meinl (from Germany) with 4 front action pistons + 1
thumb activated rotor. (brilliant for Sibelius 2). Both have tremendous
flexibility around the range, and have very free blowing qualities. But
I'm really looking forward to blowing the new Besson front-action tubas,
I just hope that they have finally sorted out the stuffiness of the
comp. system. If so, there will be (theoretically!) no excuse for bad
intonation.
I await them with anticipation!!

Cheers, Adrian.