RE: Email controversy, change of topic

Hi, Martin!

Good luck on your new instrument endeavors!

I highly recommend the Getzen Eterna cornet.  I play one, myself, as does my
stand partner in the Illinois Brass Band, as does one of the other solo
cornets in the IBB.  At least in the '60s and '70s, the Getzen was the
"official cornet of the Salvation Army Staff Bands", (or so I recall) and the
SA knows brass banding!

Schilke makes good cornets, especially the Eb soprano cornet, as does
Blackburn.  Personally, I don't like the Besson Sovereign, even though that is
the "official cornet of the Illinois Brass Band" , but that is a personal
bias, based mostly on their mechanical robustness and valve action, as I
perceive them.  YMMD!

The 300 series trumpets are student trumpets,. the lowest cost line, under the
Capri, as I recall.  I used to have a 300 series Eb/D which played, ok, but
not well enough to keep  ( I got a Schilke).

Bach Stradavarius trumpets are the de facto standard "pro" trumpet, and
generally quite good.  The Bach Strad cornets are also quite good trumpets ;-)
 (IMHO).

With a good, deep mouthpiece, the Getzen cornet is about as good a system as
you can get without spending well over US$1000, IMHO.

Hope this helps!

Guy Clark
guyclark@xxxxxxx