RE: Sheona White in Sydney

At 23:28 5/08/97 UT, Glenn McGowan wrote:
>Dear Phil,
>Please let us know how your concert went with Sheona.

  Well, last night Sheona gave her final concert in Australia, with the
Warringah and Willoughby bands. The crowd was a little small, probably
about 250-300 people. Sheona was fairly exhausted after a demanding tour.
Nevertheless, she was delightful to meet and of course her playing was warm
and brilliant. She was roundly applauded by audience and bands alike after
each solo. She met with members of the audience and bands at interval and
after the concert, much to our delight. For me, it was just wonderful to
play BBb bass supporting her solos, especially in "over the rainbow".
  UK banders do not realise how isolated we brass band enthusiasts are here
in the antipodean colonies. Opportunities to hear and play alongside
virtuosos (in both tone and technique) of Sheona's calibre are at best
infrequent. Thank you Boosey and Hawkes and all the Australian bands who
made her visit possible.

Philip Anderton
Warringah
Sydney, Australia.