Re: Email controversy, change of topic

Kevin & Pam Smith wrote:

> > I have two of the band's Sovereign cornets.  One is probably about 15
> years'
> > old, plays very well, and is the one I use.  The other is perhaps four or
> five
> > years' old, and is horrible to play, mostly on account of poor
> intonnation and
> > dead feel/tone.  I know a couple of others who feel exactly the same;
> maybe
> > they went through a bad patch?
> >

> My Sovereign cornet was bought shop soiled in 1985.  I've just spent 50
> pounds having it ' re-conditioned ' i.e. new corks new valve pads new
> springs general clean and polish etc.  Money well spent in my estimation as
> this is probably the best instrument I have ever played.  I have also
> played a 921 sovereign and a 928 sovereign (not a 928GS).  Of the two the
> 921 was probably best.
>
> Our band is currently pursuing a lottery grant and I have spoken to a
> number of instrument suppliers.  I was quite supprised at how many of them
> are recommending the Yamaha Maestro in preference to the latest Benson
> 900's because of general engineering and build quality.  It seems that they
> are still in their ' bad patch '.

Hi, Kevin.
Just a quick note, regarding choice of cornets. My band (Concept Brass)
play Courtois 106 model cornets and a 107 soprano. They are beautifully
made, and have good intonation and sound. They are definitely worth a
look.
Also, if B&S are available in the UK, try out the new B&S 3141
"Challenger" cornets from Germany. My company has one in stock at the
moment that has just arrived in for demo. purposes, and it is an
absolute "honey". So if you can get hold of one to try, do so. Just for
the record, their trumpets and tubas are amazing, too.

Just another spanner in the instrument selection works!!

Cheers, A.J.Raven