Re: Lake District and Scotland

> Date:	  Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:39:54 -0700
> From:	  "David W. Buckley" <davebuckley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To:	    Brass Band List <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject:       Lake District and Scotland

> My wife and I along with two friends will be travelling in the UK as
> noted above from September 5 starting at Manchester to September 22
> leaving from Glasgow.
> Are there any can't miss sites that may not be in our guide books, any
> great, inexpensive B and B's, any outstanding programs that we should
> not miss during that time period?
> Any and all help appreciated. By the way my friend is a tuba player
> whose Father was once a trumpet player in tha Bournemouth Symphony. We
> all are or have been involved with the SA so any SA events too would be
> interesting.

David

Slightly off your route (but not that far by car), the Hardraw Scar
Band Contest takes place on Sunday 9th September, near to Hawes,
high in the Yorkshire dales but a short drive from the
Lancashire/Cumbria border.  It is an open air contest in a natural
ampitheatre created by Hardraw Force, the highest single drop
waterfall in England.  The contest is open to all bands so you would
have the opportunity to hear championship section bands playing
alongside local village bands, all playing march, hymn tune and
own choice testpiece.  I'm not certain of the times but it starts
late morning and ends around five or six in the evening, depending on
the number of entries.

It's certainly worth a visit for the variety of the music, the
spectacular scenery and the beer at the Green Dragon Inn.

Come and hear The Harrogate Band and say hello!

David