Re: Hello everyone

Hi there Martin

I am a soprano cornet player also, and probably live quite near to you -
I'm in Oldham, so apart from the "ability" angle, we have a fair bit in
common!  (I'm in a 3rd Section band, but have played for Championship and
2nd section in my time).

Actually, to tell the truth, I am a Bb AND Eb player - I frequently chop
and change about, sometimes even during the course of a concert!  Brass was
my first love, but in the past three or four years, I have become involved
with the Church Lads Brigade and am now the band-master for St Paul's
Blackley.  We are a traditional bugle/drum band, so my musical experience
is quite varied.  The biggest challenge yet though is to get the members of
my own band (who are either thirty- forty-something men or teenages with
the attitude "a marching pace is 98 bpm") to march like the Brigade, who
are "quick" marchers (at around 120 bpm)!!  The Brigade also do marching
displays which is beyond the comprehension of my brass band.  Ah well, they
can only improve!!!

Nice to hear from you, and welcome to the group.

		    /\     _
		    | /   /_\
		    |    |    |  | \/ |
		  / |	   |    |
	       /    | _
	      |     |     \

	       \    |    /

		 \ __/

		  \/

Pam Smith
(Long suffering - ahem - long TERM member of Blackley Band)

----------
> From: Martin Irwin <mirwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Hello everyone
> Date: 29 August 1997 15:15
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've just subscribed, and look forward to hearing from you all at some
> point.  I don't know who else subscribes, but if you know me then send me
> an e-mail so that I know you are on, if you don't know me feel free to
send
> me a message at any time.
>
> Just a bit of background about myself: I was born in Barnsley (Yorkshire,
> UK) but now live in the Saddleworth area of the North West of England.  I
> have played with Brighouse & Rastrick band in the UK for 5 years now (3
> years as assistant principal cornet, and the last 2 years as soprano
> cornet), I have previously played for 2 years with Carlton Main Frickley
> Colliery band, 3 years with Stocksbridge band, 3 years with Warren band,
> and 6 years with my first band Barrow Colliery band (now Barnsley
Building