Re: Lilliburlero

Kevin,
Well, I'm not a 'Brit', but I do have a recording of 'Lilliburlero' by the
Philip Jones Ensemble, on their CD entitled 'Grand March', by London Records,
number 417 329-2.
According to the liner, it describes it as traditional with this particular
arrangement by Kenneth J. Alford, of all people. The liner goes on to say
"...a tune of unknown origin, first published in 1686 and set to words with
satirical political overtones, is representative of the popular tunes of the
day, then employed to accompany marching troops..."
Hope this helps.
Graham A. Treadway, also a trombone player.
you wrote:
This one is for all you Brits out there.

I recently acquired a cheesy Canadian produced cd of British wind band
marches and was quite taken with some tasty little tunes. Lilliburlero is one
in which I am particularly interested. The cd was so cheaply made that
composers weren't even listed. Some were even lifted off vinyl recordings
evident by the popping and hiss associated with vinyl records. I would
appreciate any info avalailable including:composer, availabilty of a brass
band arrangement, and any historical significance or background info attached
to the march.

Thank You and Regards,
Kevin Miller