Re: NSW Contest Results

Peter Younghusband wrote:

> So what happened to Warratah Phil?
>
> That night I went to Willoughby must have been a real ONE off!
>
> Who was conducting who?
>
> Monkey
>
> At 10:46 AM 8/9/97 +1000, you wrote:
> >NSW State Results
> >
> >The results for the New South Wales State Contest in Sydney Australia were
> >based on the aggregate of Test (A London Overture) and Own choice
> >performances as marked below. The adjudicator was Gary McPherson from the
> >School of Music here at UNSW:
> >
> >1. Willoughby City
> >       Test			    92
> >       Dances and Arias (Gregson)      95
> >
> >2. Sutherland Shire Silver
> >       Test			    93
> >       Essence of Time (Graham)	93
> >
> >3. City of Holroyd
> >       Test			    90
> >       Dances and Arias (Gregson)      94
> >
> >4. St Mary's Band Club
> >       Test			    91
> >       Seascapes (Steadman-Allen)      92
> >
> >5. Waratah-Mayfield District
> >       Test			    89
> >       Paganini Variations (Wilby)     91
> >
> >6. Warringah Concert Brass
> >       Test			    89
> >       Harmonious Variations(Langford) 89
> >
> >       So we came last in some very tough competition. Oh well, that's banding I
> >guess. Congratulations to the winners, and especially Sutherland, returning
> >to contesting after quite a break and sounding great.
> >
> >Philip Anderton
> >Warringah Concert Brass.
> >

> >--
> >

>  .-_|\   Peter Younghusband  Karratha W.A.
>  /*    \  monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  \_.-\_/  Tel / Fax: (0061) 8 9185 5186   http://www.kisser.net.au
>       v   * is Karratha!
>
> --

Well Monkey that is a good question, What did happen to Waratah?
The band played very well, just as it did at this years Nationals in
Newcastle.
However, once again, this does not seem to account for much in the eyes
or should I say ears of the adjudicator. Our playing of Paganini was far
better than our rendition at the Brisbane Nationals(1995) in which we
tied for first place. Obviously the standard of the other bands has
risen immensely, or so the adjudicator thought. I heard the other bands,
apart from Holroyd (sorry guys), and cannot believe SOME of the marks
that were given. I would suggest the adjudicator spent too much time
with his eyes closed just listening (his own words) and not enough time
with his head in the score. Oh well enough of my sour grapes, however it
is extremely disheartening when this type of thing continues to happen.
Once again a big thank you to Mike Butcher (Holroyd) for stepping in at
the very last moment. I hope this may help to answer your question
Peter.

Paul Grice  (Flugel WMBB)