Re: Re: Privileged Notes--BBb Bass

Dear Adrian:

<<Hi, Steve - the "old warhorse" is back for discussion.
While I do believe it is possible to get the concert EEb on open
fingering, it is not a true note in that harmonic range of the
instrument, and usually sounds unfocused and un tuneful. The concert EEb
generally does not pose a problem in terms of stuffiness, (being on 1+4
comp. and 1,2+4 non comp.) Where the problems start, is where the player
(on a compensating horn) uses a combination of 3+4, thereby bringing the
nasty bit of tubing on the back of the third valve into the equation.
That is when the stuffiness sets in.
What do you reckon?
Cheers,
Adrian J. Raven>>

Adrian:

I reckon that you're right.  I have felt as you do, but it's  reassuring to
receive confirmation from fellow BBb bass players.

I play a Conn 25J 4-valve that does fine on the intonation down to concert
DDb (2-3-4).  It gets a little "funky" at concert CC, for which I use
1-2-3-4.  The very rare times that concert BBB is necessary, I have to "lip"
the pitch along with the 1-2-3-4 fingering.  Therein lies my inquiry about
privileged notes.

Arnold Jacobs may have been recommending use of privileged notes primarily to
thhose with 3-valve horns.  What do you think?

Kindest regards,				"I only play requests when I'm asked to do so."
											-- Victor Borge
Steve Marcus
BBb Bass, Prairie Brass Band
Director of Sales, THE BEAUTIFUL SOUND, INC.
http://www.uwm.edu/~mcmahan/profiling/profile.80.html
http://www2.qrsmusic.com/qrsmusic/Mrktng/Dealers/Butsound/BeautSound.htm
http://www.steinway.com