Re: Privileged Notes--BBb Bass

Hello everyone.

I've subscribed to the list for a month or so, but have only now had the
time to write.  I've really enjoyed the discussions and hope the list
continues long into the future.  I have played with Glenorchy Brass Band
for 8 years, 4 years on Euphonium and 4 years on BBb Bass.  I was honoured
to be able to play at a Sheona White masterclass recently.  She certainly
is a very talented and charming person.

>I don't think that the privilege tones are usable.  With your situation, I
>think it would be better to take the part up an octave.  I think that
>B-flat tuba parts are generally written lower than they really ought to
>be.  I suspect mine is a minority opinion (I know it was within my own
>section last year :) ).

As I played a 3-valve BBb Bass for a couple of years,  I had to use
privileged tones in some pieces.  I found a written F was quite flat played
on open, but the E (played on second valve) and lower notes were quite
passable. The tone of the notes was quite good and they can be played
louder than the 4-valve versions, since less tubing is involved.

I apologise if this has been discussed before, but how is it possible to
play these notes without there being a harmonic there?  I always felt I was
doing something miraculous!

Personally I disagree that BBb Bass parts are written too low.  I
particularly like Ray Farr arrangements since very low notes are
commonplace in his works.

Regards,

Andrew Woolley
BBb Bass, Glenorchy City Concert Brass Band
(Tasmania's first ever A Grade Brass Band!).