Re: Arranging - Copyright

on 14 September 1997 Peter Ellery <PEllery@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> Copyright is essential if you are selling an arrangement or making money

> from the arrangement.  As a Music publisher I can tell you that obtaining

> copyright can be a long and expensive process and is sometimes turned
> down.

After reading this am I right to assume that an arrangement can be written
and played by a band as long as that arrangement is not sold, without
seeking permission from the copyright owners.  I have downloaded some very
good MIDI files from the net which I have run through a score editor and
would like to now arrange for band.  Obviously in this case it would be
difficult to find out who the original copyright owner is.

kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx