Beginner seeks advice

Hello everybody

I am considering learning an instrument and joining a band. I am 45
and live in the Wigan area. I played the clarinet at school - to grade
V, but its long gone now - and I loved making music with others. I
would like to re-acquaint myself with that experience.

Here is the sort of thing I am wondering about.

- Am I too old to learn an instrument from scratch? Is what I am
considering even remotely feasible?

- Is there any particular instrument I should learn? Either because
there is a big demand for it, or because it might be easier?

- What sort of standard is required for entry to a band, and where
could I obtain the tuition necessary to reach it?

- Do bands have 'beginners' sections?

-  Do they undertake tuition themselves?

All advice, comments, and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks a lot

Mark Lyhane