Re: Beginner seeks advice

In article <342363eb.5308543@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Lyhane
<kram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>Hello everybody
>
>I am considering learning an instrument and joining a band. I am 45
>and live in the Wigan area. I played the clarinet at school - to grade
>V, but its long gone now - and I loved making music with others. I
>would like to re-acquaint myself with that experience.
>
>Here is the sort of thing I am wondering about.
>
>- Am I too old to learn an instrument from scratch? Is what I am
>considering even remotely feasible?

You're never too old! As as flautist from childhood I started to learn
the cornet just over two years ago when I was 36. I now play 2nd cornet
in a Fourth Section band (I don't yet have the stamina in the high
register to get onto the front row!)

>- Is there any particular instrument I should learn? Either because
>there is a big demand for it, or because it might be easier?

I chose the cornet/trumpet purely because I like playing the treble
parts and because I wanted eventually to also play in other outfits such
as dance bands and classical orchestras.

>- What sort of standard is required for entry to a band, and where
>could I obtain the tuition necessary to reach it?

I started playing 3rd cornet with a Fourth Section band (Wellington
Silver Band in Somerset) a year after I started learning.

>- Do bands have 'beginners' sections?
>-  Do they undertake tuition themselves?

In my experience, bands with a big enough membership have junior or
beginners sections, and would be happy to give you tuition and even lend
you an instrument to learn on. Try contacting your nearest fourth
section band (you should be spoilt for choice in your area!)

>All advice, comments, and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Don't hesitate - do it now! You won't regret it!

--
Dave Wells
Secretary and Second Cornet