Re: Beginner seeks advice

> Mark Lyhane <kram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sep 18, 1997
> 12:25 am >>>
> Hello everybody
>
> I am considering learning an instrument and joining a band.
> I am 45
> and live in the Wigan area. I played the clarinet at school -
> to grade
> V, but its long gone now - and I loved making music with
> others. I
> would like to re-acquaint myself with that experience.
>
> Here is the sort of thing I am wondering about.
>
> - Am I too old to learn an instrument from scratch? Is what
> I am
> considering even remotely feasible?

Mark, I'm also 45, and took up brass when I was 35. Wantage has a good few
people playing in its various bands who took up brass later in life - some
nearly at retirement age! I'm quite certain it's never too late to start.

> - Is there any particular instrument I should learn? Either
> because
> there is a big demand for it, or because it might be easier?

Probably depends on what your chops are capable of - I would imagine that a
clarinettist would have a fair amount of strength there. Start with a cornet and
work downwards until you find something you're comfortable with, would be my
approach... or short-cut this process by asking advice from a brass teacher or
experienced player. I'd be surprised if you haven't found something by the time
you get to Eb Bass :-).

> - What sort of standard is required for entry to a band, and
> where
> could I obtain the tuition necessary to reach it?

There's probably a perfectly good band fairly near you which would be very happy
to welcome a prospective player with your sort of background.

> - Do bands have 'beginners' sections?

Some do. See above.

> -  Do they undertake tuition themselves?

Ditto. Alternatively a band's resident conductor (who almost certainly has
been/is a player himself) may well augment his income by giving lessons in his
spare time.

> All advice, comments, and suggestions will be gratefully
> received.

To summarise: get in there, mate!

> Thanks a lot
>
> Mark Lyhane