Beginner seeks advice

Hello Mark

>>I am considering learning an instrument and joining a band.<<

Good news!

>> I am 45 and live in the Wigan area. I played the clarinet at school - to
grade
V, but its long gone now - and I loved making music with others. I
would like to re-acquaint myself with that experience. <<

You're never to old to start again - and at least you know the notes, key &
time signatures etc...so that's a good start.:-)

>>Am I too old to learn an instrument from scratch? Is what I am
considering even remotely feasible?<<

Too old? - Definitely not!  Feasible? - Definitely yes! Of course, it may
well be that you won't ever manage to reach a standard that you may have
done starting younger but I'd say you could reach a level that would be
quite acceptable to many bands. I wouldn't try auditioning for Black Dyke
etc just yet! ;-)...but there are plenty of bands in the lower sections
(and non-contesting) that I'm sure you would find a place in.

I'm 48 and, although I played cornet in my school band in the 60's (from
1960-1966) I then gave it up until last year. I took up Euphonium/Baritone
to help my son at a junior band and then joined a local Section 3 band
(Stourport-on-Severn, Worcs) and I'm thoughoughly enjoying playing 2nd
Baritone! :-)) OK...I knew the fingerings and how to get the notes...but my
lip managed to get back in at least a reasonable shape to play quite
quickly:-) Biggest difference was the range of music then vs now...but it
soon comes with practice.

>>- Is there any particular instrument I should learn? Either because
there is a big demand for it, or because it might be easier? <<

Demand :-

Cornets - probably more players around as they are cheaper to buy (and
especially for youngsters the size makes it easier for them). On the other
hand there are more available positions in a band (1 Soprano, 4 Solo, 1
Repiano, 2 2nds and 2 3rds - plus Flugel is similar).

As to the others : Horns - bit more expensive but only 3 positions ;
Baritone - more expensive and 2 positions ; Euphs, Basses - progressively
more expensive.

Trombone - I have little/no experience of playing these but from the little
I know i guess these are the technically most difficult with slide
positions/tuning. Unless this is a first choice, I would suggest not
starting on this.

Ease of learning - Probably depends on size of your lips to a certain
extent and how much lung capacity (especially the larger instruments) but
this can be improved with practice. I started on cornet and haven't had
much problem changing to baritone after getting the pitching right.
Probably try cornet first to get the rudiments right and get over the
learning curve and then see if a larger mouthpiece is easier?

>>- What sort of standard is required for entry to a band, and where
could I obtain the tuition necessary to reach it?<<

Depends very much on the band standard - but at the least are the basics of
fingering, music theory to be able to play the lower parts at the standard
the band plays (ie 3rd cornet, 2nd horn, 2nd baritone) with an ability to
follow the conductor's requirements! Also, many bands are happy to have
extra players that can play in practices and  some concerts even though the
player may not be of the standard (or the positions are filled) for
contests.

There are a couple of sources for tuition:-
1 Individual tuition from teachers adverts in the local press/yellow pages,
or perhaps local schools have contacts (music teachers, local authority
peripatetic teachers)
2 Some junior bands linked to schools allow adults to play. I restarted
this way helping my son.
3 Once in a band you may find some of the players will give lessons
privately.

>>- Do bands have 'beginners' sections?<<

Some may well do - it depends on how big the band organisation you join is.
Quite a few have either a junior band (specifically for the younger
players) or links to a youth band which I know doesn't help for your
situation, but they may well allow adults to learn and play.

>>-  Do they undertake tuition themselves?<<

I haven't heard of any - but I may well be wrong on this.

Hope this helps

Good Luck! - I'm sure you won't regret it, especially joining a band where
there is also a friendly social atmosphere!

reagrds

Mike Smith
2nd Baritone
Stourport-on-Severn Brass Band