Re: A beginning Band

At 02:18 PM 9/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Beyond all of the excellent advice you've received, I suggest you contact
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/WindSong_Press/
>
>The book about Arnold Jacobs and his techniques is a real eye-opener.  I
>have heard a clinic given by the brothers Childs, and all I can say is that
>their physiology is about 50 years behind what is here in the US.  They are
>extremely fine players in their own rights; however, the terminology they
>use will mislead all but the most talented players.

Wow, If you can criticize the Childs Brothers you must be brilliant. Please
let me know if you ever perform in Denver, I'd love to see it.

>As a minor historian of the history of the pedagogy of brass instruments, I
>must tell you that (in the past) several years of solfege training were
>required before starting on any wind instrument.  In fact, some of today's
>best players (continental, that is) did not start playing until their teens
>after YEARS of solfege training.

Mark,

I am not a historian, have never studied the theory of music and couldn't
even tell you what pedagogy means. However I can say that playing in a brass
band is a great experience. Get yourself sorted with a tutor and take the
plunge. I have lived in Britain, Belgium and the US and everywhere bands are
friendly and welcoming. Don't be put off by musical snobbery, practice hard
and prepare yourself for a few beers and a lot of good times.

Paul Rothery
Rocky Mountain Brassworks