Re: A beginning Band

>Wow, If you can criticize the Childs Brothers you must be brilliant. Please
>let me know if you ever perform in Denver, I'd love to see it.

Paul et al:

As a former member of the premier band of the US Army in DC as a euphonium
player, I am not in the league of the brothers Childs, but I am pretty
fair.  Actually, I did not criticize their performance (which is brilliant)
but their understanding of the physioogy of brass playing.

E-mail is a difficult medium in which to communicate as facial expression,
etc. are absent.

As for solfege:

"It's as easy as DO-RE-MI."  (SOUND OF MUSIC)

Sorry for the quote, but solfege training allows one to internalize pitches
and turn the notes on the page into sounds in our ear.  The extremely
complicated skills needed to play can only be controlled at the highest ans
"simplest" level.

In all this I am a "card-carrying" follower of Arnold Jacobs.

Henry Howey
Professor of Music
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX  77341