Re: A beginning Band

All,

Thought I'd add my thoughts.

Brass Bands (and I hope it is true elsewhere and not just the UK)  are for
people who enjoy making music together.  The best players are usually in
Championship Bands and the remainder go down in degrees so players of all
abilities usually find some band to play with but we all have one thing in
common - WE ENJOY IT.  Brass Bands are very much a social activity - in fact my
band started out as part of the works social club.  Most of us who play in
Brass Bands are amateur players who 'squeeze' in practice between 'real' work,
family life, etc. and don't have the time to study different techniques and
what have you (but some do and I think a beginner should get some tuition).
Most of us don't want to become virtuoso players (I certainly haven't the
talent) but enjoy what we are doing and work at it as time allows.  There are
some who get to the dizzy heights but there are a vast amount of us don't. It
would be interesting to know how many Brass Bands there are in the UK and then
to work out the percentage of players who are of the standard of say the Childs
brothers.  I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to improve but we shouldn't lose
sight of why most of us do it - IT'S FUN.

Mark don't be put off by all the serious talk from the USA - just get out there
and have a go and mainly HAVE SOME FUN.

Carole Spry
BBb Bass
GEC Marconi Avionics Brass Band