Questions questions!

I wrote to the list some time ago about me having recently bought a gramophone.

I now have some 78rpm. records of the Kettering Citadel band in the early
1950s, on which my two Grandads are playing.

The band sounds very well together on everything, and in tune too, which is a
credit to the conductor for his good training of the band.  His rehearsals were
legendary I am told, and with never a raised voice.  His name was Albert Munn.

I spoke to my Dad about this, and he thought that it came about directly
through having good discipline within the group.  As well as their S.A.
principles, they had to do such things as write a letter of apology to be read
out to the band should they have ever been late for a rehearsal.  They also had
inspections of uniform and instruments on a regular basis, and all wore the
same style of shoes, shirts etc.  They even had the same style of socks!  I am
told that the source of this came from within the band itself. The members
would not tolerate bad deportment, lateness, or slackness of any kind, so that
everyone led an organised life, and lived up to the motto "The best for the
highest"

I thought I'd throw it up to the list to see what we think about this kind of
working of a band......Does it help musically?  Do we wish for more discipline
sometimes?  Is this over the top?  What do you think (If it's not too direct a
question :-) ) about your own bands?  Does this kind of activity have a musical
effect?

BTW are there any ex or current members of K.C.B. on the list?

Questions, questions!

Nigel Wears