RE:Questions questions!

Dear all,

Although this subject may have come and gone, I thought that I would
send the following in anyway.  At a recent 'entertainments' contest,
our band plus the others competing were graced with the specific adjudication
of band deportment.  Here are his comments on the band:

-----------------
Good entrance - but - for contests leave the music covers off stage -
less messing around - you gave the impression of not having music in
order to start with.  Avoid putting music on the floor it's untidy.
If covers have to be on stand, clear plastic is better than a mixture
of pink and blue.

Posture

Not many sitting up straight, if players need to lean forward their
chairs are too far away.  Feet should be together and flat on the
floor, not locked under chairs or crossed.

Smartness

Good level throughout - co-ordinated drum console even.  I find the
pink spots on the conductors shirt distracting - perhaps good for
making musicians look up at you, but an adverse effect for the
audience.  Good to see percussionists in jackets.

Solo Cornet

Good position on stage and good posture.  Body movement in keeping
with his enjoyment of the piece.  A lower stand would help his
audience see him better, he's good enough not to need a 'barrier' - no
stand would be much better.  Very nice I enjoyed that a lot.

Stand Discipline

Good overall, a foot tapper in the cornets needs to exercise control
(2nd row).

Patience band, don't start moving around until the conductor has left
the stage.  A nice performance overall just some points worth putting
right.
--------------

I'll let people pull there own conclusions of these remarks.  I'm
sure that we are all in banding for different reasons, I think that I
can safely say that I'm in it for the music.

Keep on blowin'
Matthias

PS We came second (Premier Section).
	o      o