Re: Posture poser

Why would you call the adjudicator a banker ?

Seriously though I've got to agree with the 2 of you. Being smart and
looking the same gives a good sense of unity and makes you feel like a band
but it doesn't much matter if you get beaten by a bunch of people in jeans
and t-shirts. I used to compete in a contest at Crawley where something like
20% of the marks came from deportment. It was obvious that with a handful of
bands that they'd spent more time on this than on the music. In the last one
I played in, some band in the championship section came on like the army,
everyone dressed identical, marching in step and not a nostril hair out of
place. In contrast our band made some sort of effort but obviously didn't
have the same coordinated starched underwear, played well and won it. They
came second. Maybe if they'd have spent more time in the bandroom than in
front of the mirror they might have won. I know if I'd have played in a band
like that I'd have felt it was a wasted contest.

Just before I flew out to Red Wing to play in the Instant Brass Band at the
NABBA contest, Harold Floysvik sent out an email saying something like you
can wear what you like on stage, it's the music that counts. Maybe committee
members should ask Harold for a few pointers !

Paul