Re: Favourites.

At 10:39 11/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm looking to begin a jazz CD collection and am wondering if anyone
>knows of a list of CD's to have to begin a collection?
>
>And, what would be some CD's to have to begin a brass band CD
>collection?

There are 2 newly released CD recordings which cover both mediums
simultaneously.  Both have been recorded by Grimethorpe Colliery Band and
feature the 1997 All England Masters Testpiece called "Jazz" by Phillip Wilby.

Another recent BB recording (this time by YBS Band) which I can thoroughly
recommend is "Cry of the Celts".  This album features a BB transcription of
the Irish Music stage shows "Riverdance" and "Lord of the Dance", the
latter of which  includes authentic Irish accompanying instruments together
with some fine solo playing from the likes of Ian Porthouse (Bb cornet),
Iwan Williams (Flugel Horn) and Sheona White (Tenor Horn).

Perhaps someone else on the list can fill-in with catalogue numbers but
don't hesistate to get back to me if you need my help to research the info.

In the meantime ......... happy collecting!!

A.T.
Angela Tregaskes
<angela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<angela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (alternative e-mail)