Registration

Following the point made re Castlepoint & Hendon, I have long been a
supporter (sometimes the only one it seems!) of moves to alter the
registration system.
At SCABA, we already have advantages in that members using our registry c=
an
have more players registered than say a band using National Cards. I don'=
recall if either of the bands mentioned were SCABA members - certainly
since the demise of COSEBBA (Council of South Eastern Band Associations),=

the London & Home Counties Association have chosed to use National Cards
rather than the system used in SCABA.
But having said all of that, I seriously question why we need registratio=
at all! As long as we can come up with a process to ensure that no
individual appears with more than one band at a contest, then we could ri=
ourselves of the whole thing - I put a discussion document on this very
subject to the last SCABA quarterly meeting and will post a copy to the
list when next at home.
But of course, there will always be the dinosaur factor -" but we've alwa=
ys
done it his way" who will never be convinced together with those with a
vested interest such as registry managers/owners that rely on the profit
that's being made.
Many associations now have day transfers - I fail to see a difference
between having day transfers and having no system at all - both allow a
player to appear at different contests with different bands.
My thanks to David for giving me the opportunity to climb on my favourite=

hobby horse!

ps: I don't know where David Read was coming from placing KM joint last -=
heard KM & thought they deserved a much higher placing than that. Having
conducted Uckfield, I'm biased but felt our joint placing with KM didn't
reflect our performance either. And if leaving bits out and finishing the=

test piece a bar early gets you a sectional prize, perhaps we'll try that=

next time!

Andy Wooler, Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass, PRO SCABA
MD "The Classic Dance Band", Trumpet "Sussex Symphony Orchestra"
awooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home),
andy.wooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/awooler