Re: Favourites.

Sounds like Angela is a supporter of the YBS band !!

I've not heard any of the CD's Angela mentioned, and I'm sure they are very
good, but I'll give you some good alternatives.

Firstly, if you want to hear the piece "Jazz", which I played at the
Masters and thought was an amazing piece of writing, get the CD of this
years All England Masters contest & gala concert.  The CD will contain the
winning performance of "Jazz" by Faireys (I think it was them!!).

Secondly, if you want to hear a brilliant performance of "Riverdance", I
think the best recording of this is on the recent CD from the Eikanger band
(from Norway) which is conducted by Ray Farr, who is the arranger.  The
drum rythyms are excellent on this recording.

Lastly, I must plug one of my own bands latest CD's (even though I've
stopped playing with them recently for work reasons).  The CD is the new
solo album by Roger Webster, accompanied by the Brighouse & Rastrick band.
It is called "Bandsmans Choice" and contains 17 solos selected by the
general public, such as Cleopatra, Fairies of the water, Napoli, Silver
threads amongst the gold, and lots of other pieces.  I think its an
excellent CD, mainly due to Roger's effortless amazing playing.  It is well
worth a listen.

You can get all these CD's from EGON, and probably lots of other sources.

Hope this is useful.

Martin Irwin
(Ex) Soprano cornet
Brighouse & Rastrick brass band
West Yorkshire, England

----------
> From: Angela <angela@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Favourites.
> Date: 13 October 1997 18:36
>
> At 10:39 11/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >I'm looking to begin a jazz CD collection and am wondering if anyone
> >knows of a list of CD's to have to begin a collection?
> >
> >And, what would be some CD's to have to begin a brass band CD
> >collection?
> >
> There are 2 newly released CD recordings which cover both mediums
> simultaneously.  Both have been recorded by Grimethorpe Colliery Band and
> feature the 1997 All England Masters Testpiece called "Jazz" by Phillip
Wilby.