RE: Registration

Don Cooper wrote:

>If registration were abandoned altogether I can imagine
>a group of semi-professionals developing who would hire themselves out
>to the highest bidder for contesting.

This argument is one that often comes up. I'd like to know where all the
money is coming from because in our neck of the woods, there isn't any in=

brass band ing!

Secondly, and I speak as a conductor here, I would be less than happy abo=
ut
preparing a band for a contest and not seeing many of the players until t=
he
final rehearsal because lets face it, if this view of the future is
correct, these people are going to want paying for rehearsals as well! It=

is my belief that the movement would be self-policing in this respect.

>In my experience, day transfers are limited to one or two borrowed
>players from a band of the same or lower section and this works because
>we DO have a registration scheme and we know who is being borrowed >from=

where.
If day transfers are extended to the top section, which does happen in so=
me
associations, then effectively, it's a free for all for bands at the top
already.

What real advantage do we get from knowing who these people are and where=

they're from?

>It would only take one band to buy success by "borrowing" (=3Dpaying?) a=

handfull of top class players for the Area or the Nationals before
> everyone else tried the same trick.

We've already seen this one before - in the South, a number of years ago,=
new band formed using the "cream" of players from the other bands in the
area. They didn't need money to do this, the players simply wanted to be
in
a more successful band. The registration system didn't protect any of the=

bands who lost players to the new outfit - in fact one band lost so many,=

it was unable to contest for a number of years. What happened to this new=

band? Well, they made it to the top locally as you'd expect. But with no
tradition and a transient membership, they had no hope of staying togethe=
and didn't!

I appreciate some people will get bored with this subject quite quickly -=

If you have anything to say on the subject of Registration but don't want=

to clutter up the list, mail me privately (awooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx). All
opinions are respected even when I disagree with them! - any input from
overseas list members would be especially welcome - does this all seem
familiar to you or are you sat there thinking "what the devil is this cha=
on about, we don't do that here!"

I'm a great believer in open debate on matters such as this - how else ca=
we ever expect the movement to move into 21st Century

Andy Wooler, Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass, PRO SCABA
MD "The Classic Dance Band", Trumpet "Sussex Symphony Orchestra"
awooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home),
andy.wooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/awooler