RE: REFolkestone

My point about the folkestone result and in particular the sectional priz=
is to highlight the fact that adjudicators must take more care about wher=
they place bands after the first 2 or 3 and any special awards - it's not=

just about Trophies, Prize money etc , it's also about relegation issues.=

(following this contest, it is for my band anyway!)
When there are only ten bands to judge, surely there's no need to tie any=

of the places - we were tied joint last with KM Gilligham and I feel very=

sorry for them as their performance was IMHO (and of many I have spoken t=
o)
outstanding and worth a place in the top quarter at least.

> >Leaving bits out and finishing the test piece a bar early

> >gets you a sectional prize
>Yes, so what? You have a problem with that?

Sure do! If the whole cornet section of a top band screws up next saturda=
and still gets a top 3 place, you'll hear exactly the same sort of
comments.

> Just to clear this one up, the sectional prize I was referring

> to was the percussion prize which went to Alder Valley

>What do you expect when obviously the adjudicator was

>a percussionist?
>;)

An interesting point comes out of that one - are there actually any
adjudicators out there who's primary instrument is percussion? (David Rea=
was a cornet player)

Finally, I don't begrudge Alder Valley any of the success they achieved a=
Folkestone - their title of SCABA Band of the year shows that they are
consistent winners over the last 2 years (2nd year running they have gain=
ed
the title).  My own band knew they were playing for their place in the to=
section and will accept whatever comes as a result of this competition.
If there are any adjudicators on the list, please remember how important
the correct placings are from first to last, especially next March when t=
he
regional competitions are in full flow - that's when some real damage can=

be done if you don't!

Andy Wooler, Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass, PRO SCABA
MD "The Classic Dance Band", Trumpet "Sussex Symphony Orchestra"
awooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home),
andy.wooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/awooler