Woods in Halifax-98: Status and changes

Interest has been steadily building but we still need more Tattoo fanatics!
Dave Druce (our bandmaster) has been busy beating the bushes in the UK and in
other quarters. The list of participants now includes people from the UK, and
cost-to-coast from the USA and Canada.

We need more cornets! Dave would like to have at least 20 out on the floor.
We're about half way there.

One day has been added to the start date. We need to get together on the 23rd
of June, a day ahead of the main rehearsals, so we can get our own act
together, get people assigned to accomodations, etc. Also, since the final
performance ends around 11:00 pm on the 7th, the first day you are free to go
home is, for all practical purposes, the 8th of July.

If the only thing holding you back from joining us is the dates, please get in
touch anyway. We'll see what can be worked out.

July 4th subs!!!  For Americans who are interested but are probably committed
for the 4th of July, consider a swap with one of the Woods Brass members. We
have people who can't take 2 weeks off for Halifax but would be able to
substitute for you if you are playing on the 4th; they'll plan a week's
vacation around that date. Let me know if you are interested in this approach.

Here is the post again, with date changes.

...Hal
The Woods Manufacturing Co. Brass Band is once again looking for Brass
Banders  with a sense of adventure to come and join us at the

     1998 Nova Scotia International Tattoo
     Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
     June 23 through (including) July 7

We're looking to mount a band of at least 51 musicians and, hopefully,
quite a few more.

At this point, we're looking for all instrument groups and percussion. From
anywhere in the world.

Accomodation, meals, and transportation from Ottawa, Ontario, to Halifax will
be provided but it may be more practical for you to travel direct to Halifax.
Going to Ottawa first means an extra 16 hr. delay.

We would like to have a pretty good idea by the end of October of the
committment we can expect to have. Please contact me by Oct. 31 if you can
join us, or if you would like to but need more time to lock in the dates.

There is no limitation as to where you come from, Last year (1996) we had
friends from as far as Seattle Washington, USA, to London, England.

If you wonder if you'll have a good time, just ask Richard Batten (of late,
member, Young Ambasadors Brass Band). We're looking forward to meeting you!

Musical ability:  You should be very confident on your instrument. A good
player, but you don't have to be championship level

Uniforms: Provided.

Male and female players welcomed equally

Marching?  Maybe sort-of. Not a big deal, really. Certainly not even the
remotest similarity to American marchng bands, the Guards, etc., etc.  In 1996

we moved around (walked) to reconfigure ourselves from the initial W we
formed. At the end we all walked off playing the tag of our presentation
number,

Pub crawler?  It helps to have the constitution of one but it is not
necessary. The main thing is to be able to enjoy yourself and have fun. There
are lots of non-pub things to do in Halifax.

Contact/reply info:

E-mail: to the list or to:
	   honf@xxxxxxx
Phone: Home - (613) 829-8424
	    Work - (613) 763-9463

Hal (Harold) Floysvik
EEb Bass, woods Manufacturing Brass band