Alternative Nationals Results

Dear List

As one of the unofficial adjudicators on Saturday at the RAH (one in
the hall that is, not the mews...) I'd like to offer my alternative
results - they will probably won't  make any sense to those not at the
contest, but never mind,  here goes:

Best rep solo:  Fodens

Best solo cornet not in the top 3 (all of whom were outstanding):
1st Rothwell, 2nd Flowers

Best Euph: Ever Ready

Best Basses: Fodens (maybe I'll get that pint next time, Phil!)

Best Percussion: Point of Ayr

Sight reading award: Grimethorpe percussion???

Best dressed conductor: Brighouse

Most yukkie fluorescent uniforms: Ransomes

Most expansive use of the Albert Hall stage: Kirkintilloch

Best lesson in why its a good idea to sit close together on stage:
Kirkintilloch

Biggest surprise of the day: Kirkintilloch - total commitment!
2nd Ransomes: a very tidy performance

Best cheer at the results: Kirkintilloch

Best off stage horn solo: Faireys

Most off stage horn: EYMS (could anyone hear him/her?)

Least off stage horn solo: Ever Ready

Best sop: Rothwell (2nd Ever Ready)

Most dejected soprano: CWS Glasgow

Conductor's prize: The steward who conducted Grimethorpe's off stage
horn solo (and got a couple of beats out)

Best laugh: seeing Brighouse lads running back from the mews to
celebrate their win in a state of 'extreme relaxation' at the same time as
the ISB (Intentionally Sober Boys?) were arriving with their gear...

Best post-contest speech: Peter Graham

What I missed the most: hearing David King's interpretation...

And finally my top 6 (I should add that I missed Cory, Aveley and
Whitburn):

6 Rothwell (lovely sop and horn duet - probs at start (with nerves?)  but
really settled well)

5 Ever Ready (super euph and lower end - the only band who really got
to crotchet = 50 and pianissimo for that euph solo...)

4 Grimethorpe ( a great reading of the piece but soloists
surprisingly off their best form)

3 Brighouse (some tempi so quick some lack of clarity in bass detail
from where I sat, but a very exciting performance - massive sound and
Jim Davis superb)

2 Fodens (Polished performance with all details in place - just odd
minor lapses in solos - solo cornet spot on - very cultured sound)

1Faireys (I couldn't hear 1st trom well in trio section but otherwise
very fluent and supremely musical)

Anyone else out there got some more results?

David