Re: Nationals and Qaulifiers....

In message <344D54BA.F9562B0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Younghusband
<monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>I've just heard something about the top 4 bands at London qualifying for next
>years Finals PROVIDING they go to the Areas...........?
>
>Without further info this seems extremely bizarre, can somebody enlighten me
>please??
>
>Monkey

This is the relevant article from this month's BBW:

	'A decision of the National Contesting Council to invite the top
four bands at the National championships final at the Royal Albert Hall
on October 18 to compete in the final next year, without having to
qualify by gaining a top two placing in their regional contest, has met
a mixed response from top bands.
	'Philip Morris, contest administrator said the objective was to
increase bands from 18 to 20 and ensure that more top bands will appear
in the final.
	'Invitations will be conditional on the four bands competing in
their regional competitions where placings will be used for grading
purposes and where the appearances will ensure a series of attractive
events for audiences.
	'One top band administrator said the condition that the four
bands must appear in the regional contest was "ridiculous" and his band
would consider sending a quartet to compete.
	'He was assuming, of course, that his band would finish in this
year's top four.  Whether his was mereley a hasty, extreme and
unrepresentative view will emerge in the course of time!'

Taking the North West area for example, does this mean that if the
result is

1 - Faireys
2 - Fodens
3 - Wingates
4 - JJB

All four bands will qualify?  Likewise if it is

1 - JJB
2 - Wingates
3 - Fodens
4 - Faireys

All four bands will STILL qualify??  Where's the tension in that!?!?!

--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.