Re: Nationals and Qaulifiers....

On 22 Oct 97 at 15:36, D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Peter Younghusband wrote:
>
> > I've just heard something about the top 4 bands at London
> > qualifying for next years Finals PROVIDING they go to the
> > Areas...........?
> >
> > Without further info this seems extremely bizarre, can somebody
> > enlighten me please??
> >
> > Monkey
> >

> True!  This is to allow more of the top bands to play at the finals
> without taking them out of the area contests.  The NCC have been
> exploring various ways of improving the status of the National
> Finals, such as the aborted 'play off' for third place bands in the
> areas, without being seen to give advantage to one or other region.
snip.......

> One band has apparently threatened to enter a quartet for next
> year's area in protest at the decision - but they would risk being
> relegated...

As far as I know this would not happen.  If the band came last,
unless they had been in the last 2 or 3 the year before, the band
would merely move down the local area table, eg. we would move from
2nd to 7th maybe..  If the band did the same again the next year
there is a good chance depending on their starting position in the
table that they might move into one of the relegation places.  If
they did the same for a third year they would certainly be moved to
the lower section.  Therefore, theoretically, the reigning national
champions could be relegated to the 1st section.

> The absence of top names in the area contests reduces the audience
> (and revenue) and makes the victory less meaningful for the
> winners.
>
> This system has apparently been in use in Scotland and Wales for
> some time.

The difference in Scotland is that the Scottish (area) champions also
represent Scotland in the Europeans.  That is a big enough incentive
for any band to play at the area.  I don't believe though that
participation is compulsory.

> David

  Regards,

Phil Green.