Re: Alternative Nationals Results

On 23 Oct 97 at 0:48, howells wrote:

> David I think you were unfair with your remarks to the Horn Player
> with EYMS it was a young lady trying her best, okay she tried her
> best, its a daunting task when thing go wrong on the Albert hall
> stage, they are a young band with one of the nicest guys in brass
> banding Robert Childs, he was the first one to go over to her and
> say a few comforting words to her afterwards.
>
> I was in the hall also down the mews the weather I gave 198 pts ;)
>
> Yours Evan Howells

Sorry to disagree with Evan again but this group is for honest and
open debate about banding.  I would be more than pleased to receive a
critique about our band/players because we all have opinions and this
is the place to post them.  if we stop putting our opinions here it
will end like an online version of the British Bandsman, too afraid
to pass any sort of comment at all for fear of offending.

> ----------
> > From: D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Alternative Nationals Results
> > Date: 20 October 1997 14:10
> >

> > Best off stage horn solo: Faireys
> >
> > Most off stage horn: EYMS (could anyone hear him/her?)
> >
> > Least off stage horn solo: Ever Ready
> >

> > 6 Rothwell (lovely sop and horn duet - probs at start (with
> > nerves?)  but
>
> > really settled well)
> >
> > 5 Ever Ready (super euph and lower end - the only band who really
> > got to crotchet = 50 and pianissimo for that euph solo...)
> >
> > 4 Grimethorpe ( a great reading of the piece but soloists
> > surprisingly off their best form)
> >
> > 3 Brighouse (some tempi so quick some lack of clarity in bass
> > detail from where I sat, but a very exciting performance - massive
> > sound and Jim Davis superb)
> >
> > 2 Fodens (Polished performance with all details in place - just
> > odd minor lapses in solos - solo cornet spot on - very cultured
> > sound)
> >
> > 1Faireys (I couldn't hear 1st trom well in trio section but
> > otherwise very fluent and supremely musical)
> >

> > Anyone else out there got some more results?
> >
> > David

Tararabit,

Phil Green.
Solo EEb Bass