Re: Registration

>Greetings all,
>In Australia we have a system that a band can have 2 permits (blowing) and
>as many percussionists as scored for, per contest.  This works well.
>In Victoria we have been trialing a new system where we have dual
>registration for STUDENTS only, who go to University more than 100kms from
>their home town band.  This alleviates the problem of country bands losing
>players to city bands when they leave for college, thus allowing players to
>'keep their lip in' during the week.
>This has been brought in during the last couple of years, however we do not
>know the long term ramifications of dual registration.
>Just my 2 cents worth.
>Have a good day

Now here's my two cents worth..
the system that you mentioned above is not the one that we have in Tasmania
(hold the jokes please) anyway in our system, the bands can have four
permits and that includes percussionists.  The permit players can be from
any other band provided that they are registered.

The dual registration sounds good but would probably never work in Tasmania
because we have so few bands (about 8 i think) although it would stop some
of the north west bands being so young as all their university age players.
I had to leave my band (Glenorchy City) to go to university and i now play
with City of Launceston, although I'm sure Glenorchy, being the only brass
band in the south of tas, get plenty of players from up here.

At the recent state championships (18th) there was quite a great extent of
usage of permit players  which saw some players on the stage several times.
Many people from bands with no permits disagreed with some bands being
really "stacked"

regards

Emma Cooper