Re: Frosty the Snowman

In message <4875E883F13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Ingman
<b.a.ingman@xxxxxxxxx> writes
>All,
>Have any of the bass trombone players on the list played the popular
>arrangement of 'frosty the snowman' with their bands? If so can you
>tell me if it is hard/easy/good!

I've played it.  It's a very effective xmas piece which always gets the
audience cheering (especially if you dress up in the outfit!).  It was
written for Mark Frost, bass trom with Fodens (hence the appropriate
choice of piece to arrange!) so although it is not too tricky
technically (however, there is a little waltz section that has you
flying about all over the shop), you are expected to 'plumb the depths'
a little.  The highest note in the piece is top G (bass clef, concert
pitch) and the lowest is a pedal C (yes, that's pedal C, one tone above
double pedal Bb) in the cadenza (this usually gets a little ripple of
applause on its own!)  The cadenza is quite long though, and I suppose
would lend itself to a fair bit of mutilation if required.

For serious solos, the new stuff from the Doug Yeo CD is hard to beat.
I've done Goff Richard's 'Rainy Day In Rio' and Gordon Langford's
'Proclamation' and they're both superb.

Best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.