Re: Nationals and Qaulifiers....

Peter Younghusband wrote:

> Far be it from me to say anything controversial *tic*
>
> but that seesm totally ludicrous to me. What on earth is the point of going to an
> Area when there is nothing to gain? What a waste of time and money. Can you
> imagine players turning up for extra rehearsals the week before when the band is
> already assured of going to London.....? You wouldn't catch me there I can tell
> you that!
>
> Can anybody offer a positive thought to this ridiculous idea?
>
> Monkey

Only this one: I enjoying playing (and conducting) in contests.  I
get a thrill from the preparation, the participation, and a bigger
kick from winning.  I've certainly never considered it a waste of time
or money.  Does being NW Area champions not matter?  The gain you
seek is surely there in a) kudos, b) local grading table place, c)
national ranking, d) prize money - don't spend it all at once, e)
prestiege for your sponsor, etc. etc.  When I played in the NW the
area contest was the best of the year and I wouldn't have missed it
for the world.  (At present the local tables in the NW and Yorkshire
are a bit of a joke because over the three years there are so many
'byes').

The quality of the opposition matters.  Example: when Wingates last
won the Nationals last time (was it in 1970 on 'Le Roi D'Ys' under Dennis
Smith???) the top bands were not there and many regarded it as a
somewhat hollow victory...  There are more recent examples but that
one has stayed with me.

If you haven't already gathered, I like the idea.  It will improve
the status of the National Final and the regional events.  Knowing
that all the big names will be there, I'll probably make the trip
over to Blackpool next year.

I take Phil's point that whether the results are:

Leyland
Fodens
Fairey's
Wingates

or vice versa, or any permutation of the above, all four will qualify and
there won't be much tension. But I have this vision, beginning just as the
adjudicator (is it Bram Gay?) finishes his summing up and you get the
results:

4th Besses O the Barn...

3rd Marple...

and all of a sudden there's an awful lot of tense folks out there..
And if you still don't believe me, ask anyone else who was sitting amongst
the Dyke players at Bradford this year when they announced: 2nd
place: Rothwell...

Yours, in good cheer!

David