Re: Nationals result and transfernews

On 23 Oct 97 at 13:13, BRITCLIFFE@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 23/10/1997  08:45:07, you write:
>
> << At my own band, Brighouse & Rastrick, there is no sponsorship
>  (our own choice) and no huge fees to players, but we do sometimes
>  struggle to fill vacancies, especially when another band offers a
>  player money. >>
>
> good on ya brighouse!
> surely banding is about people enjoying their hobby, not about it
> being a job. i wouldnt claim to be up to the standard of the very
> top bands, but i play for enjoyment (and winning contests) and
> wouldnt derive any more satisfaction from my banding if i did get
> paid. i earn my living from a completly seperate activity, thankyou.
>
> jim britcliffe
> united co-op band (crewe)

Much as I agree with the sentiments of the above message, don't
anyone get all misty eyed about B&R's lack of a sponsor.  As Martin
himself said, they may be unsponsored but they are still the
wealthiest band in the country by far - they don't NEED a sponsor,
some of us do.  Please don't get all 'holyer than thou';  you chose
the level at which you band, maybe on commitment criteria, maybe on
talent.  I'm sure that if your band offered to pay retainers you
wouldn't refuse.

Regards,

Phil Green.
Solo EEb Bass