Re: Phillip McCann -Reply

Monkey,

as some on the list already know, I am a great admirer of Phillip McCann as some
other 1000 people in the UK and over the world.
I feel you are a little bit humiliating somebody who surely was the best cornet
players for ages in the whole brassband movement.
So I can not let go your reaction unchallenged.

I do not know, but maybe you came in too late or you were not too much
interested in what Phillip has reached. I surely know they won more (and not a
little bit!)  titles, had more concerts,... than DAF, BNFL or JJB in their whole
history together although I really respect JJB and I know quite some of its
players personnaly.
About Phillips conducting:
1. Phillip left with Sellers after he had raised them from the bottom to
champion section beating e.g. Dyke in the regionals, good results at the Open
(e.g. Revelation), etc. Meanwhile a lot of top bands were stealing his cornet
players all around Phillip had raised again himself (money, money, money).
Phillip left Sellers when some of them starting playing another piece on a
concert. Say no more!
2. Phillip left/had to leave Fodens after he brought them back the traditional
sound after Howard left. Everybody has to make up his own mind if that was what
he did or Fodens (they still might have been called "Britannia") really wanted.
Many highly regarded names like e.g. Gordon Higginbottom agree with that.
It should have been interesting to see what Fodens should have done with Phillip
in stead of Nick conducting, although I have the greatest respect for Nick and
well deserved through all his efforts with other bands. Now Phillip did not get
a decent chance.
3. Phillip was asked to conduct Rothwell at the nationals this year. He refused
because he  has a little bit enough for the moment being. He did the sectionals
for them because of previous relations with Doug Blackledge, who was asked to
leave Rothwell. At the end Richard Evans took them to the nationals.

I just feel one should respect his heroes, even if you do not play in the same
band, or you hated him when you were perhaps some yeras ago with DAF because he
was going only for the best.
On the other hand, you never know (and we should be better off without knowing)
why people leave or are sacked indeed.

To my taste, Phillip will never be sacked and a lot of bands, also the English
top bands, can learn a lot of him!

With respect,

Edy Van Asch,
Tenor Horn