Re: Nationals result and transfernews

In a message dated 24/10/1997  19:25:54, you write:

<< Much as I agree with the sentiments of the above message, don't
 anyone get all misty eyed about B&R's lack of a sponsor.  As Martin
 himself said, they may be unsponsored but they are still the
 wealthiest band in the country by far - they don't NEED a sponsor,
 some of us do.  Please don't get all 'holyer than thou';  you chose
 the level at which you band, maybe on commitment criteria, maybe on
 talent.  I'm sure that if your band offered to pay retainers you
 wouldn't refuse. >>

no phil,
i wasnt trying to get holier than though. i dont have a problem with bands
who pay retainers and expenses etc. i have a problem with players who go to
bands purely because of the retainers they pay.yes if the co-op wanted/were
able to pay retainers i wouldn't object.
your comments perhaps sum up my thoughts better than i did when you said that
fodens players were willing to give up their retainers when you lost your
sponsorship. that demonstrates that you guys just up the road have the same
attitude towards banding that i do, that you play for a band because you want
to play for them, not just for the money. that is a view which i fully
respect and concur with.

jim britclife
united co-op band (crewe)