Re: South Australian Championships

Dear Ron,
You won't get any argument from me that the N.S.W. bands (and Waratah in
particular) are setting the pace at the moment.  However, Purcell was a
beautiful piece, nohstanding that it was not a hugely technical
piece.  It's my impression that this seems to be a trend in England too
lately with more musical test pieces - remember last year's Open and
Bram Gay's arrangement of Elgar's test from the '30s.  It's one of the
few test pieces I think we might use for a concert. Purcell Variations
is very listenable with very challenging slow movements.

I should also remind you that Kew won the entertainment section as well
(118/120!).

Kew didn't compete at Ballarat because we had a few key players
unavailable (and we thought the test was a bit boring!).

Look forward to seeing you all in Melbourne at Easter.