registration & retainers

Many thanks to all those who sent in responses on Registration - it is
interesting that a theme started around the same time on payments of
retainers to players - call me old fashioned but paying retainers to keep=

players in your band is no different to paying pro's to come and fill up
scratch band - if these people are happy to go and play with the highest
bidder, how far away is that from the worry that some have of bands full
of
unregistered players being paid for the day?

Another point that came out of this is that there was a greater response
overall from outside of the UK - do I read into this that the majority of=

UK based players have no strong opinion?

For those who asked, I referred to a band in the South that was put
together by people leaving other bands - the band concerned was Handcross=

Brass - no longer with us.

The last interesting co-incidence relates to the poor band (Rhos was it?)=

who are under investigation for using someone currently registered with
Hendon.

a) this chap hasn't played with hendon for months so what's it all about?=

b) on this very list recently, we were told that Hendon had folded anyway=
 -
we certainly haven't seen them around for a while)!!!

It is precisely this sort of incident that makes you wonder why we put up=

with it - we're not talking about a band full of "ringers", simply one ch=
ap
caught up in a stupid debate over his membership of a band that wasn't ev=
en
competing in that contest! I'll tell you, getting through the Berlin Wall=

was easier than getting onto some contest stages!

And finally! - well said to the man who mentioned the inability of some
parts of the band press to say anything contentious! - I sometimes feel
like starting a brass band verion of "Private Eye"

Andy Wooler, Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass, PRO SCABA
MD "The Classic Dance Band", Trumpet "Sussex Symphony Orchestra"
awooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home),
andy.wooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/awooler