Re: concert at nationals -Reply

On 27 Oct 97 at 16:53, Edy Van Asch wrote:

> I have to disappoint the Dyke fans and players on the list. I have
> spoken different people in Belgium who joined the latest gala
> concert at the UK Nationals. Their comments were quite unanimous -
> The salvation army was brilliant (always in balance, great
> sound,...) - James Morrison was OK as an entertainer (some called
> him a great circus artist while not the greatest of players) -
> Dyke's opening with the Olympic theme was very impressive, the rest
> of the program was not: very loud and aggressive, accompaniment not
> together,...  .
>
> I must say, it is a bit the same the last couple of years with Dyke.
> Dyke is almost always playing very loud and aggressive with Kevin
> Crockford as the exponent: he's a great player but why is he always
> playing above the band, always to long at the end note,.... ?
> Meanwhile James Watson seems to ask the players for more and more
> (louder and louder).
>
> Dyke has been known for decades to have the biggest sound, the most
> musical playing,... Those were the times with e.g. Roy Newsome,
> Peter Parkes and David King. Since Watson arrived they turned on
> another way which many of us regret. Apart from that we must admit
> Dyke won several contests although the band lost its golden crown to
> Fairey who took over (not to surprise thanks to several former Dyke
> players and conductor and as a result also its sound and general
> style of play).
>
> I wonder how the list thinks about the Dyke-metamorphose especially
> the Dyke players on the list like Les McCormack?
>
> Edy Van Asch
> Tenor Horn
> Metropole Brass Band

Before I go any further Dyke are a great band - one of my favourites.
But, I agree that their sound has definately changed since Jim took
over.  They have lost that effortless depth of sound that they
produced, even up to the Dave King days.  I know it's not the bass
end where most of the depth in a band originates; I have played in
that section and the sounds they make are out of this world.  Maybe
Bob Childs forthright sound has something to do with it - i don't
know.
This is what I think.  Jim was at his most successful at Desford, my
old band.  What that band had was a totally different sound to anyone
else at the time.  It was a very 'Midland' band sound, worked
fantastically at the Albert Hall - 4 victories on the trot proves
this - but not so well else where.  I think Jim is trying to
re-capture that sound at Dyke and due to the nature of Dykes
'heritage' sound it is not working.
I have experience of this now at Fodens.  Phillip McCann came in and
tried to change the band sound.  He didn't like the BBS sound and
wanted a more traditional sound.  We all tried but our nature was to
play differently so we ended up with a right 'hotch-potch' of sounds.

Even so, Dyke are still up there with the best in the country and
Jims magic will work wonders again in the near future no doubt.

Regards,

Phil Green.
Solo EEb Bass
Fodens (Courtois) Band.

"I'm not a musician - just an instrumentalist"