Re: registration & retainers

Andy Wooler said:

> The last interesting co-incidence relates to the poor band (Rhos was it?)
> who are under investigation for using someone currently registered with
> Hendon.
> a) this chap hasn't played with hendon for months so what's it all about?
> b) on this very list recently, we were told that Hendon had folded anyway -
> we certainly haven't seen them around for a while)!!!

It is unfortunate that Rhos Silver have found themselves under enquiry
re. the questionable registration of their trombone player ...... but IMO
the onus
must lie quarely on the shoulders of the band sec. at Rhos for not being
thorough with his/her checks before allowing this player to play in the
1st section national finals (even if the player "hand on heart" thought
he was free from the chains which previously bound him to Hendon ..... be
that because the band had in the interim period of 6 months (was it?)
folded or not!!  The NCC has no
alternative therefore to make an example of Rhos's incompetence and
withdraw the title (& prize money obviously) 1st Section National
Champions 1997 .... but there the
"punishment" should end i.e. no fines, no disqualification next time and
certainly no legal action for fraud or whatever (which IMO would be
ludicrous).  Sorry if my response on this sounds harsh, I don't mean it
to but think to be fair to all other finalists, this is the correct action
to be taken to clear up this unholy mess!!

Andy Wooler went on to say:

> It is precisely this sort of incident that makes you wonder why we put up
> with it - we're not talking about a band full of "ringers", simply one chap
> caught up in a stupid debate over his membership of a band that wasn't even
> competing in that contest! I'll tell you, getting through the Berlin Wall
> was easier than getting onto some contest stages!

Yes Andy ....... but rules are rules (& whilst they are in place ALL band
MUST abide by them or face the consequences if found out!)

> And finally! - well said to the man who mentioned the inability of some
> parts of the band press to say anything contentious! -  sometimes feel
> like starting a brass band verion of "Private Eye"

Do you read that too?  Good innit (esp. recent editions counteracting the
"Diana" hysteria nationwide!!

All the best folks.

Angela Tregaskes