Re: concert at nationals -Reply

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Edy Van Asch wrote:

> I have to disappoint the Dyke fans and players on the list. I have spoken
> different people in Belgium who joined the latest gala concert at the UK
> Nationals. Their comments were quite unanimous
> - The salvation army was brilliant (always in balance, great sound,...)
> - James Morrison was OK as an entertainer (some called him a great circus artist
> while not the greatest of players)
> - Dyke's opening with the Olympic theme was very impressive, the rest of the
> program was not: very loud and aggressive, accompaniment not together,...  .

This is my tuppence worth re. Dyke's (general) sound:

It is consistent ....... it is still marketable to a very large (& often
international) audience
.... and it is adaptable to whatever sort of music Jim Watson and
composers/arrangers throw at the players ... it has therefore lots to
commend it!!

However ...... I have some opinions on individual player's styles and
techniques, and these are as follows (& are based on live concert
performances
spanning the last 2 or 3 years and not one solitary performance such as
last Saturday at the Royal Albert Hall, which unfortunately I wasn't able
to attend personally):

Kevin Crockford:  Wonderful soprano player who is never afraid to "go for
it" (quite an animal in fact!) ..... it is a pity that sometimes this
means his sound pierces the eardrums like bullets and carries so well
above the rest of the band .... and he messes up quite a bit too on stage
(but I am nevertheless still WELL IMPRESSED).

Bob Childs:  Again a lovely sound .... getting a bit boring when
ABSOLUTELY EVERY ONE OF his
featured solos involve musical "pyrotechnics".  I much prefer to sonorous
tone as displayed in the "big tune" part of Jupiter from The Planets (for
example).

Matthew Baker:  Very good technical player ......... better as an
ensemble player rather than a soloist (he is nowhere near in the same
league as Roger Webster, Ian Porthouse, Jim Davies et al.)  For my money
I would have Lee Rigg on Principal again ..... he's done it before quite
successfully after all .... much nicer cornet sound that Mr Baker (for
those who don't know Lee ... he currently plays rep. with Black Dyke).

Simon Cowan:  Again a formidable player and easily "up to the job" that
Dyke require from him ....... but my money for sound goes on Nick Hudson
I'm afraid (& he's better looking too IMO!)

Les McCormack:  Dear ol' Les (colloq. speaking - he's only a youngster
really!) something of a Cinderella amongst the Black Dyke
soloists ...... why don't we get to hear you more often??????  I'm sure
from little snippets I have heard that you are up there with the Gordon
Higginbottom's, Sandy Smith's, Sheona White's of this world ..... but it
would be lovely to have my theory confirmed once and for all.

James Watson:  Having seen JW perform on stage (on trumpet) with the
LSO Brass, and watched him bring out the best of Dyke with limited
rehearsal time, I have nothing but admiration for the guy (he used to
conduct
Crystal Palace BTW ...... before my time unfortunately).  I really think
he is a good front man for Dyke because of his wealth of experience and
diversity of musical background/genres.  More power to his (left) elbow!!

In particular, re. last week's gala concert at the RAH, I would like to add:

I was unable to attend ..... but enjoyed what I heard on last week's
"Listen to the Band" program on BBC Radio 2 ....... in particular the
Olympic Theme & Fanfare mentioned earlier.

But in fairness to Black Dyke ...... is it any wonder their sound might
have come across as harsh in the Gala concert after the heavy weekend
THEY'D had, i.e. on Friday alone they had: a LONG trip to London; a workshop
with Peter Graham on "On Alderley Edge" at the Regent Hall followed by an
extremely heavy INAUGURAL CONCERT at the Royal Academy (that bastion of
musical excellence where nothing less would have done than "Connotations
etc.") ........... and then a rehearsal with James Morrison on Saturday
pm ........ no mean feat for any bandsman (& I would like to hear what
Edy van Asch's band would sound like after THIS amount of playing such a
variety of musical styles).  James Watson said it all at the
Academy - these
players are all (but I would say in the main are) AMATEURS ....... the
contest & concert-going audience must
remember that and not be too adversely affected when their performance
does not quite come out at 100%  ..... I'm sure the lads
certainly
give maximum effort to the job in hand every time they're out ..... but they
are mere mortals the same as
you and I at the end of the day.  Please therefore give them credit where
credit is due and accept the (infrequent) blips with good grace .....
unless YOU personally can do better of course!

By all means badger the "behind the scences" officals for change if you agree that sometimes too
much is expected of them within the timeframes available ....... it would
be helpful if you could back up your criticisms with hard cash to keep
the band viable in the meantime <tongue in cheek expression>

All the best.

Angela Tregaskes

REST OF EDY's POST SAID:

> I must
say, it is a bit the same the last couple of years with Dyke. Dyke is