Sponsorship

Hi all...............

I hope that this topic starts a good thread to help brass bands all around
the world.

It is well known that quite a lot of UK bands have corporate sponsorship.
It is also fairly well known that quite a lot of NZ and European bands have
sponsorship.  I have noticed that even though the brass banding in the US
is quite young compared to UK, NZ and Australia, that some US bands have
sponsorship too. Yet.........Only 1 A grade band in Australia that I know
of has sponsorship (Midland Brick. WA.) and the majority of bands hardly
ever see them any way due to the fact the are in Western Australia.  Many a
time have Aussie bands tried to obtain a sponsorship and in 99.99% of cases
they are rejected.

What I want to know is..........................

1) Why do companies sponsor Brass Bands!! ???(from their point of view)

2) What do bands offer to companies to close a sponsorship deal?

3) Approximately how much support from companies do bands ask for and how
much should they expect to get?

4)	Do companies sponsor bands based on contest success, reputation, amount
of public concerts, or other.............

5)	Do companies genrally seek out bands or do bands apply for sponsorship?

Many Australian A grade bands are competing at National level with quite a
lot of old Imperial, Regent or student instruments that bands just can't
afford to replace with modern professional quality ones.  I hear stories of
top Championship section bands occasionaly getting complete sets of new
instruments (fact or fiction....you tell me?????).  Very few bands own a
GOOD set of timpani and many bands are still using old marching bass drums
instead of concert bass drums.  I might also add....how many Aussie bands
have the luxury of owning a set of tubular bells and a marimba.

I'm not trying to cry poor here....as a matter of fact...my band (Brisbane
XLCR) has quite a lot of excellent instruments (except for timps) but
without sponsorship of any kind we have to replace and upgrade at a very
slow pace.........

I ask anyone who has any ideas or info please comment as I believe that
sponsorship is a key factor to the success and quality of many bands
(though not the only factor of course).

Thanks in advance.

Tony
Associate Principal Cornet