Re: Allowing professional players in brassbands

andy wooler wrote:

> Edy wrote:
>
> >I would like to (re)open the discussion about allowing professional
> players >in abrassband.
>
> We really need to define the use of the word professional here - like most
> of you, I have played with amateurs who have a very professional approach
> to their music making - also played with professionals with a totally
> amateur approach! Paying money doesn't mean you get a better player/band
> member!

Yes, what is a pro.  Is a person that get paid for playing, og is it a
person that work with music, playing or teaching, or do the person need
to reach a specific level of playing before he can be called a pro.
I mean that the best definition is that a person is a pr if he has his
major income from playing (for monney).  So; a 100%
teacher/tutor/conductor is NOT a pro player, even if he gets almost all
his income from working with music.  But a person that has 49%teaching
and 51%playing is a pro player.  The problem with this system is the
control, but here we have to trust the people and belive they tell the
truth.

> >>However, in that time bands hired professional players just for the
> contest because their own players were not good enough, or they did not
> have enough players and so on. The bands with the best relations, the
> highest bid and so on,... won the contest.
> I refer all to my comments earlier - paid by the gig, paid by retainer,
> what's the difference?
>
> >2. If an amateur becomes prof after say 5 years, he/she can not switch
> >anymore

If the person has a history with the band, and was a member of the band
before he become pro he is alowed to play with the band.  I think this
is very important since many people changes their playing vs.teaching
rate from year to year (and even from month to month eg. free-lance
working)

> >3. We see some bands now start to pay amateur-players. At the end
>  > what is the difference with paying a prof or is non-paid prof not better
>  > then a paid amateur?

If some band pay their members to play with them two things should
happen:
1. The player should be banned from contests for life.
2. The band should be banned for at least two years.
We are a amateur movement, not a pro league, AND WE DONT WANT TO BE IT.
There is already too much monney going around in the top bands.

--
  Trond  Otto Berg
  Principal