Re: Sponsorship

>Hi all...............
>
>I hope that this topic starts a good thread to help brass bands all around
>the world.
>
>It is well known that quite a lot of UK bands have corporate sponsorship.
>It is also fairly well known that quite a lot of NZ and European bands have
>sponsorship.  I have noticed that even though the brass banding in the US
>is quite young compared to UK, NZ and Australia, that some US bands have
>sponsorship too. Yet.........Only 1 A grade band in Australia that I know
>of has sponsorship (Midland Brick. WA.) and the majority of bands hardly
>ever see them any way due to the fact the are in Western Australia.  Many a
>time have Aussie bands tried to obtain a sponsorship and in 99.99% of cases
>they are rejected.
>
>What I want to know is..........................
>
>1) Why do companies sponsor Brass Bands!! ???(from their point of view)
>
>2) What do bands offer to companies to close a sponsorship deal?
>
>3) Approximately how much support from companies do bands ask for and how
>much should they expect to get?
>
>4)	Do companies sponsor bands based on contest success, reputation, amount
>of public concerts, or other.............
>
>5)	Do companies genrally seek out bands or do bands apply for sponsorship?
>
>Many Australian A grade bands are competing at National level with quite a
>lot of old Imperial, Regent or student instruments that bands just can't
>afford to replace with modern professional quality ones.  I hear stories of
>top Championship section bands occasionaly getting complete sets of new
>instruments (fact or fiction....you tell me?????).  Very few bands own a
>GOOD set of timpani and many bands are still using old marching bass drums
>instead of concert bass drums.  I might also add....how many Aussie bands
>have the luxury of owning a set of tubular bells and a marimba.
>
>I'm not trying to cry poor here....as a matter of fact...my band (Brisbane
>XLCR) has quite a lot of excellent instruments (except for timps) but
>without sponsorship of any kind we have to replace and upgrade at a very
>slow pace.........
>
>I ask anyone who has any ideas or info please comment as I believe that
>sponsorship is a key factor to the success and quality of many bands
>(though not the only factor of course).
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Tony
>Associate Principal Cornet
>Brisbane Excelsior Brass Band
>Queensland, Australia
>

>Tony Lashmar & Christine Abraham
>Loganlea, Queensland
>AUSTRALIA
>trumpet@xxxxxxxxxxx
>

>--

Just a point of interest.  I am not aware of any brass band having a
sponsorship in the US at this time.  Possibly in Canada but not in the
US.  It would be great if we could arrange sponsorships but it's not
happening right now.  Each band survives from the concerts they play and
probably from some small donations.  Hopefully, sponsorships will follow
as the brass band movement grows in the US and Canada.

Regards,
George Foster
Founder, The Illinois Brass Band
NABBA board member