Re: Sponsorship

At 22:32 29/10/97 -0600, Tony Lashmar  wrote:

>>It is well known that quite a lot of UK bands have corporate sponsorship
................>>What I want to know is..........................

>>1) Why do companies sponsor Brass Bands!! ???(from their point of view)
>>
>>2) What do bands offer to companies to close a sponsorship deal?
>>
>>3) Approximately how much support from companies do bands ask for and how
>>much should they expect to get?

etc. etc. [snip]

Well Tony I cannot comment from personal experience having never played
with a commercially sponsored band on a regular basis ........ but having
just been a recipient of a brand new baritone courtesy of the London Arts
Board/National Lottery Grants, I feel my comments may be relevant and of
interest to you.

My band have received a substantial sum of funds ........ and these MUST be
used to fund the purchase of instruments as per a prescribed list which was
submitted to the Lottery in application for the money.  To this, the band
had to pay 10% towards the total cost from its own funds or other means,
called "Partnership Funding" (we managed to come up with the required
amount ourselves I believe!)

Our new instruments have (in the main) arrived and we are all enjoying
"breaking them in" ....... although mine has just been returned to have a
sluggish 3rd valve investigated (a minor problem I'm sure but inconvenient
nevertheless because my old instrument has already been passed on to
another player ........ however this is irrelevant)

One "interesting" point that comes out of all this ........... from our
band's records, someone has worked out that it has taken over 70 years to
acquire the instruments we were using prior to the arrival of the full set
of new ones ....... making an average purchase of 1 instrument every 3 years!!

One further point ........ we do not own decent concert timpani of our own
either, although we do have some tour/practise timps (not very good
actually!),  but storage would be our main problem.  I imagine it is the
same for other bands ..... even if the funds were available to biuy some.

That's all I wanted to say on this thread.  Thanks for listening.

Angela Tregaskes

>>4)	Do companies sponsor bands based on contest success, reputation, amount
>>of public concerts, or other.............
>>
>>5)	Do companies genrally seek out bands or do bands apply for sponsorship?
>>
>>I'm not trying to cry poor here....as a matter of fact...my band (Brisbane
>>XLCR) has quite a lot of excellent instruments (except for timps) but
>>without sponsorship of any kind we have to replace and upgrade at a very
>>slow pace.........
>>
>>I ask anyone who has any ideas or info please comment as I believe that
>>sponsorship is a key factor to the success and quality of many bands
>>(though not the only factor of course).

Angela Tregaskes
<angela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<angela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (alternative e-mail)